I don't have class until 2pm on Wednesdays. For one beautiful day a week, I can sleep past 7:45am (and I don't want to get any beef from people who get up at 5am - I have rehearsals till 1opm regularly and sleeping past 8 is a treat for me) and eat breakfast in my jammies instead of on the train.
I'll catch the train around 11:30am, leisurely eat my lunch at school and do some work before my coaching at 2:30pm, and then gear up for the rest of the evening. I know that I've been waxing lyrical about the commuter train, so here's another vignette:
There is a woman who stands in the same line that I do every time I take the 9am train. She doesn't wear a hat, which I think is kind of silly considering how cold it is outside, she has a very festive striped scarf, and she walks fast like I do. When we get to Back Bay station, she sprints up the stairs to be first in line at Dunkin Donuts. She takes the 6:25pm train home on Mondays like I do, when I don't have night rehearsals, and we get off at the same stop and walk to the grocery store parking lot where our husbands are waiting with the car. There's something comforting about this train routine. It's relatively quiet on the train, usually not crowded, people are reading their Boston Globe or Metro if it's been published that day, sucking down their coffee and waiting to go to Dunkins.
Dunkin Donuts is a part of the culture here in a way that might mirror CC's Coffee House in the New Orleans area. My dear friend Kristy is so addicted to her particularly tweaked Mochasippi that she put it on her latest quiz as an identification question, and I confess that when I lived at home, I spent most of my spare time at the CC's on Gause, shooting the bull with whomever.
Coffee house culture and public transportation. What's not to like?
I don't care for Dunkin Donuts coffee myself. I'm trying to give it a chance, especially because it's closer to the school than Starbucks and infinitely less expensive. They claim to make lattes now, but I'm suspicious of a donut place that claims to make anything other than donuts and coffee. Somehow wrong and slightly pretentious.
Going to eat breakfast with the dog, who has assumed his usual position in the middle of the floor.
No comments:
Post a Comment