Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tagged by Stacey - Fasten your seatbelts

We all know that I love a good meme, so here goes.

10 things about me

1. After approximately two months of research, two different topics, two different revisions and more than two new wrinkles, I am finished with my last DMA seminar paper. EVER.

2. I love tulips. I think it's really awesome the way that they wrap up at night and then bloom every morning. I look forward to coming home in the evening so I can see them all snug and then leaving in the morning when they're waking up.

3. I talk about cooking my dog. This is how I show my affection for him. Some people don't get it, and look at me like I'm actually considering cooking him, which only eggs me on more. That's usually when I say something like, "Well of course we're gonna cook him. He's a big dog - he could probably feed a small country! And our crock pot is plenty big. Mmmm mmmm good."

4. I'm addicted to lip balm and cuticle cream. I love to get the little pot of lemon verbena hand salve from Whole Foods (it's only a dollar!) and use it as cuticle cream, especially when I'm sitting on the subway or in class with nothing to do. It makes me feel just a little bit more fancy, especially when I've been staring at a computer screen or wading through the Chicago Manual of Style.

5. I love New Orleans. I was born in New Orleans and the longer I stay away, the more I crave coffee from Morning Call and the taste of shrimp that's just come out of the Gulf and the sound of locals talking. Fresh-frozen my ass, that's just a lie to make Yankees feel better about themselves.

6. I am not a picky eater. Short of octopus (which I've tried but it's just a little too rubbery and doesn't really taste like anything), I will eat just about anything. I'm always eager to try new and exotic foods, especially if they're spicy. My idea of good sinus medicine is wasabi. But when I'm feeling yuck, there's nothing better than roast and mashed taters.

7. I find it obnoxious when people stand in front of the signs that say "No smoking within 20 feet of this entrance" and smoke. Can't they read? Or do they just not care? This is an especially common event at the conservatory, and I try hard to stare down the jackasses who are forcing me to breathe their secondhand cancer on my way to my voice lesson.

8. I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I am not ashamed.

9. I just saw the movie "Closer" and I think there's something seriously wrong with whoever wrote it. SERIOUSLY WRONG.

10. I love my husband, who cooks for me every day that I am in school, and has done so since I started my doctorate. He is awesome and even though I still bitch about the fact that we got all kinds of kitchen shit off our registry (instead of sheets and towels and china...grrrrr) I am glad that we got all those knives and the kitchen-aid mixer because I tell you what, he makes sure we eat well! Olive oil spritzers and pastry scrapers and garlic presses and baking stones are the way forward.

3 comments:

Richard said...

What? Musicians smoke? I'm shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED.

Who else made it into the Seattle program? And have they given you any names of teachers yet?

Richard

The DP said...

I love the lemon verbena! It soaks in sooooo good!

Also I do the same thing you do with your dog with...my husband. I always say stuff like, "I am going to sell you, on the internet. On Ebay. You're so cute I will get lots of money for you. I won't tell them about your cleaning issues or that you're kinda mean. You're so expensive." And so on. I need to look into that.

The DP said...

Oh, baking stones have one use you may not have thought of...put them under your cookie sheets to prevent the cookies from burning on the bottom. ditto for bread and cinnamon rolls.