It's that time of year. The time of year when we all start to check our mailboxes with trepidation. Yesterday, between batches of pralines (which turned out MARVELOUSLY, I might add), I received the first of my PFO letters. And not just the first: I received the first, second, third and fourth, all in one batch, and on Christmas Eve.
Opera company philosophy: Let's get all of our work done quickly. Send out those rejection letters before the holidays so our desks will be clean when we get back. I'm sure that all those singers won't mind getting their rejection letters the day before Christmas. They're already in huge slumps of holiday depression and self-loathing, not to mention pondering how they're going to afford going home after they've spent money on audition fees and travel and hotels during audition season, one more letter won't matter.
To all of the opera companies for whom I have auditioned:
If you're not looking for my voice type, then say so up front. Don't take my money and make me come to your audition and pay for a train ticket and get stuck in a snow storm on the way back from New York for you to tell me that I'm great but you're just not looking for my type.
If you have time to send me a letter of rejection, then you have time to give me feedback. Don't send me a letter of rejection and then tell me not to ask for feedback because you don't have time to give me feedback. That's just crap, and it insults my intelligence. I made time to sing for you, and I paid you money to listen. Don't be rude. It's like dumping someone the day before prom.
And do NOT send out letters three days before Christmas. It's just bad form and shows a lack of forethought and consideration not becoming of an arts administration.
I have nothing to complain about this season. I have options and offers. But I remember those last two years, trying to better my audition technique, asking for feedback and hoping that I would get some really constructive advice. But the biggest piece of advice I've ever heard is "Be professional." And that translates into a number of little catch-all phrases that your momma told you: Be polite. Be on time. Be respectful. Be gracious. Don't brag. Don't write checks with your mouth that your ass can't cash. (Okay, my momma never said that last one, but I know a lot of mommas who have, and they know what they're talking about.)
There are a few companies who give instant feedback, or offer to give feedback after the first of the year. There are a few companies who tell you that if you don't receive a callback to assume you're not in the running. I'm of the opinion that it's always better to know where you stand, but I'm just like that. Some people prefer to live in the land of "hope springs eternal until the letter comes to my house," but I'm just not that optimistic. I want to know where I stand, good bad or indifferent. This is how we get better at our craft.
Something else my momma told me - don't kick people when they're down.
I'm not down right now. I had an amazing Christmas, spent lots of quality time with my husband, sang some really good music with people I love, made two really great batches of pralines, spent time with good friends and ate some amazing food. I had a really good audition season, and I'm looking forward to going back to work in a few weeks. But for every singer I know who's got an offer, there are fifteen who don't and are still trying to put together rent for January because they spent it on plane/train/bus tickets to New York for auditions.
Be kind and courteous to this gentleman. Because if you hopped in his walks and gamboled in his eyes, you wouldn't be so keen to throw snert in them the day before Christmas. Bad form.
Personal foul. Fifteen yards. First down.
No comments:
Post a Comment