Thursday, May 08, 2008

Shiksa is a weenie

It's the time of year when I pull out my running shoes and strap on the mp3 player, venturing out into the neighborhood to greet the blooming trees and reacquaint myself with the feel of the pavement under my feet. The weather has been especially beautiful so yesterday, when it was deliciously warm outside and the breeze was blowing, I couldn't help myself. I went for a run.

I have this ongoing romance with running. I like to read the magazines - Runner's World is my favorite - and I like the clothes and I love the shoes and I love the feel of the impact on my legs. Running is noble and individual. Running is something that great athletes do - marathon runners are like heroes in the city of Boston. But let me be clear - I am NOT one of those runners. I am the weenie who is so proud that she can scrape herself back up the hill and not expire on someone's driveway. I am the weenie who still measures her progress in minutes rather than miles. And I am the idiot who thought it was a good idea to go running at 1:30pm, when the sun was high and the air was muggy.

I went back to the gym today to redeem myself. Lifting weights is also something that great athletes do. And I don't suck at that so today I will content myself with my lifting and tomorrow, I will go running again. At a slightly earlier hour, before the sun has hit its peak. Yeesh.

New Balance has this new ad campaign about running: LOVE/hate. I think it's worth saying that this is an ongoing relationship. And yesterday, I got schooled by running, my on-again off-again fling, for being away so long. LOVE/hate. Grrrrr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel ya. I too, struggle with that romantic, mystical relationship that is: running. ***sigh***