Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry

1.  sunshine on my day off
2.  milk chocolate digestive biscuits
3.  sleeping late and dreaming of mother bear's pizza
4.  six days till husby in London
5.  the local park I just found on my run

So I decided to go for a run on my day off.  I'm still adjusting to the air here so it's hard to keep it going for too long, but I indulged my need for green space and headed over the motorway (only using the crosswalks, I promise) to the big green hill that was calling my name.  Well it turns out this is prime real estate for ducks and geese.  BIG geese.  They were flapping and splashing around in a large pond that just happened to have a path looped around it.  So I did a few loops around the park before I went back to the pond.  I find ducks very sweet.  The little ones, the mallards with their beautiful feathers.  Geese, less charming.  The big ones that migrate through Boston, leaving lots of goose poop all over the Common, are very beautiful but I prefer them from a distance.  Up close, they just look big.  So I'm doing my lap and, just like a recess monitor on the playground, one of the ducks starts quacking and, because I'm still quite tired, I'd swear I hear that duck saying, "Don't you see the enormous human all in black coming this way?  Priscilla, get the hell out of the path!  Florence, take your beak out of your wing and get moving!"  The geese are more calm.  They stride out of my way, well in advance of my footfall, and calmly move back into place when I'm past.  They are not threatened by me, and they know that they have the ultimate weapon:  goose poop.  The last thing one wants embedded in the bottom of their trail runners.  Eww.

There's a street market on the high street.  I'm seriously considering packing up my laptop and camping out at the starbucks to work on my dissertation.  As husby says, I'm inclined to just sit here in my shell when left alone.  And a day off is the perfect time to get OUT into the sunshine and among people, not stay in and wish I were at home.  Right.  Must get on that.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll do an early-morning run tomorrow and see if the ducks are awake.  

No comments: