1. new pictures of my nephew, up on his dad's facebook page
2. the mild weather that let me run longer today (2.5 miles of sheer torture/incredible fun)
3. the arrival of my new MacBook!
4. hot tea
5. friends from far away who help me find a place to live
Some people call it luck. You happen to get through the doors of the train just before they shut and you make that connection that lets you get home on time instead of being stuck on a platform somewhere. Someone calls you out of the blue because you happen to fit the bill for this emergency gig and they just know you'll be perfect for it, and you happen to be available. The perfect pair of shoes on the clearance rack, oh yes they're marked down double, and they are in your size and make your feet look small.
Well whatever it is, luck has delivered on my doorstep once more. This happened to me last year. I was standing in my friend's kitchen talking about how I had nowhere to live in Seattle and I was really starting to panic. She picks up the phone and suddenly, I'm going to live with her aunt and uncle. Well I sent out a bunch of emails and facebook messages trying to find a place to live in London. A bunch. I waded through the scary craiglist postings (No, it is NOT okay to trade "personal services" for rent, and you don't have to say "if you know what I mean" because we all know WHAT YOU MEAN and I think you should ask yourself whether or not your grandma would be okay with that.) and even started looking at housing placement services. I'm leaving in nine days. Yesterday, out of the blue, an old singer friend says, "Oh, we have a room here in the house I'm living in. Would you like to know more about it?"
Relief. Sweet relief.
AND. In just a few hours, I'll be gently caressing the beautiful white plastic exterior of my MacBook, yet to be named but I'm leaning toward Thais. I've never been a technophile (see my serious attachment to paper products and office supplies) but the prospect of this new machine fills me with such joy. I can actually unplug my laptop. For more than five minutes. Say it ain't so!
I hope everyone is having a great day like I am. I think this running thing makes me unnaturally perky.
2 comments:
new laptops are a necessity. Ones you can unplug.
I have no problem with people being gadgety on new laptops. However I am a total luddite when it comes to cell phones and mp3 players. The only reason I don't have a circa 1998 nokia is because people would laugh at me. I have a samsung that is like three years old. No I will not upgrade, this one is perfectly fine.
I may be calling on your services via email, I have to find out if my boss was joking or not when she told me I was in charge of conducting for a small performance.
I love love love my macbook :) I think my favorite thing is that the part of the cord that connects to the laptop is magnetic...so you're not fidgeting with the thing for half a minute, trying to get it in the hole. ALSO, the plug wraps up so easily! Apple...they think of everything. Congrats on being an aunt!
-Rachel B.
Post a Comment