Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Through the looking-glass

The day didn't start out well.  I walked out the door to catch the bus, which was late.  I ran through traffic to grab the Tube, and caught the connection to the District line just in time, and then was stuck behind slow people on the stairs.  Got into the train station with five minutes to spare, and got stuck behind slow person at the ticket machine.  Flung myself through the ticket gate, only to see my train pulling out.  All of this, before coffee and before 10am.  

Made it to Blackheath for the sitzprobe with a minute to spare, warmed up, and then sat for about 45 minutes.  This is standard.  Sang my first act aria, sat and did Sudoku until lunchtime.  Made it back to the house, felt like poop, whinged about feeling like poop to the husband, who suggested I go and run out the boo.  Which I did.  

I still feel a little puny.  Throat is a bit swollen, nose a little drippy, but I ran for 33 minutes and felt loads better for having done so.  And I think most of the Tanglewood offers went out this week, which further reinforces that I've got no work for the summer.  It's hard to keep perspective.  I'm singing at this amazing house with a great cast and a wonderful orchestra and I really like it, yet I'm feeling dejected because a festival I didn't enjoy didn't invite me back.  Stupid stupid stupid.  But the grass is always greener on the other side.  Would I rather be starting out as an international mainstage artist or doing really well as a young artist?  Dumb question, of course.  No one wants to peak at 28.  At least, I don't.

Perspective.  That's what this gratitude business is about.  Perspective.  So here goes, from my side of the looking-glass.

1.  I have work.  Good work.  And a decent amount of it.  I get paid to sing things I like to sing.
2.  I have a sweet husband who keeps our life rolling while I'm away.
3.  I have the physical capability to go and run out the crazy when I need to.
4.  I have a nice, quiet, safe place to live while I'm here.
5.  I have supportive friends on both sides of the pond who are caring for me and my beloved while I'm away.  

And that, dear friends, is all she wrote.  Time to get ready for Mandy Patinkin!

No comments: