Sunshine makes me unusually optimistic, so I'm especially gushy after seeing that my old friend Jeff is engaged. And in his typical style, he didn't just propose - he brought his bride to a fancy French restaurant, disappeared mysteriously, and then sang to her. Now as a girl who has swooned at the romance of singing (and who swoons onstage pretty regularly) I give Jeff extra points for turning up the romance dial. Another wonderful man joining the married club, we're happy to have you here.
It's been a hard month. Lots of trips, auditions, a dissertation that finally got approved (that's right kids, they're handing me the doctorate in count it - ONE MONTH) and the constant refrain of "what's next" that will not stop whistling in my ears. But today, I'm feeling good. I told my mom, the closer I get to 30, the better I feel. I have good skin (thanks to all those years of sunscreen and moisturizing), I have great hair (genetics), and the older I am, the happier I am with my body. My voice is in good shape, my apron strings to the academic institution are being chopped at last, and I'm really free to do whatever I like. I can teach, or not. I can go to work at Starbucks, or not. I can wake up every morning and watch Beyonce sing about how a diva is a female version of a hustler (sidebar: how exactly did she come to the conclusion? And what does being a diva have to do with wearing weird clothes and super stilettos and tossing your hair? What am I missing? Girl has got some style, but I think she got some bad advice on that particular video. I'm just saying.), or dance around listening to Justin Timberlake while I'm folding the laundry. Now if only some of those options would fall away and leave me with what I'm really supposed to be doing?!
Oy. In the meantime. Fenway Park. And a story about Chanel for another time.
No comments:
Post a Comment