Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Optimism as a verb

I can't explain why, but somehow my audition yesterday had a strange and happy effect on my state of mind. I went into an audition, stood on a very large stage (!) and sang Ravel. And was then asked to sing......Britten? Wow, really? It was the happiest little surprise I've had during audition season yet. And it made me think that, perhaps, there are companies that have imagination and appreciate singers who have imagination too. Maybe companies will start to notice me for what I can do that's special, instead of trying to fit me into the lyric box with every other soprano.

It's all conjecture. But as I walked out of the theatre, I wasn't agitated or cross. I was hopeful. And then I spent the afternoon and evening with two absolutely lovely people whom I never ever get to see, one because she is so ferociously talented that she's never in the same place for longer than a month, and the other because he works in Switzerland. We talked about work and "the business" and how it made us crazy but also happy, and I'm smirking as I even write this, but this - the visiting and bitching and hugging and having coffee with wonderful colleagues whom you never see - is part of the process too. I love meeting new people and forming these connections with artists who inspire me and teach me, and let me do likewise.

Maybe it's not about optimism. Maybe it's about generosity and vulnerability - allowing yourself to be in the moment with a character, just as much as you allow yourself to be in the moment with a friend. When I get scared, I lose sight of this aspect of singing and I start to freak out about what's next WHAT'S NEXT. So I'm going to try to practice optimism as an action, and take it as a good sign that not only did I sing a killer audition, I have the opportunity to do it again today.

Countdown to Team Turkey 2009: 10 days

No comments: