Thursday, July 21, 2005

Grilled cheese sandwiches

They serve grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup about once a week and it reminds me so strongly of my time in England. I was never much of a tomato soup person until I moved to England and it was the cheapest thing you could buy in a can. I cut myself pretty severely on a can of tomato soup once - that put me off for a LONG TIME.

The weather isn't too hot today, actually nice enough to sit outside for a little while. I have a master class this afternoon with some pianist from Germany. That should be interesting. I'm listening to Ute Lemper to get myself into the mood. If you haven't listened to any of Ute Lemper's stuff, it's truly an acquired taste. If you like dark Weimar cabaret or sexy French song, Sondheim, or you have an addiction to the show Chicago, she's your girl. If you're looking for one more girl to sing something from Phantom of the Opera, you will be totally put off. Ute Lemper is on my list of personal heroes, if for no other reason that she's managed to successfully cross the lines between musical theatre, cabaret, and legit art song. And she can roll her r's in the back of her throat, something only a German-born girl can do.

Hope everyone's having a good day. Deutsch camp is half over. *sigh*

2 comments:

The DP said...

I am all about England and grilled cheese sandwiches and sweet tea. Mmm. I think I'm going to have some tea right now.

Shiksa on the move said...

Tea is always a good idea. This is why I hate eating from a cafeteria every day. You can't go and make tea at 11:30pm.