So today I talked to my third church wedding person in Boston and after she told me that members would only be required to pay the mandatory fee of TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS I thought to myself,
"Wouldn't it be cool to get married on the Algiers ferry?"
Here's my logic. The Algiers ferry is free for pedestrians. Ergo, no rental fee for the site. The ride is about half an hour long. It lets off at the foot of Canal Street. By the time we get across the Mississippi, we're married and we can go to Cafe du Monde and celebrate. End of story.
I told this to my mother. She was less than enthusiastic, but I guess she figured that walking across the deck on a ferry isn't the same as walking up an aisle in a church. No imagination.
I think it's brilliant.
Stacey has graciously offered to let me use her back yard for my wedding. And I gotta tell you Stacey, that sounds marvelous. But only if I can get married in crawfish season and have a crawfish boil for my reception. I think my fiancee's family would actually keel over and die of shame. They're Yankees (okay, they're from Maryland which is technically the South but not really) and have never experienced a crawfish boil. Actually, I don't think they've ever experienced a Southern family event. They don't understand that every cousin I have - second third or twice removed - will be there. And mom's one of seven so that's a LOT of cousins.
So we'll probably end up doing it in NO. It's home, it's my favorite city in the US, the food is good and the weather doesn't suck in winter. Updates to follow.
And to my favorite Dictator Princess - any chance you could see your way across the ocean?
3 comments:
I have six weeks of vacation from Best Job ever but they cannot be taken in a chunk, they cannot be taken in weeks preceeding school vacations or preceeding their return, and it really depends on the date. I can send you my probable availability dates if you are still picking one out, but if you ahve already decided, let me know so I can start politicking. Check your email.
btw weddings suck, i never want to have another wedding ever again. it was the biggest pain in my *ss in my life.
you could always do it at aldersgate, they don't make you pay a fortune, but personally, call me white trash, but why not the salmen fritchie house?
The salmen fritchie house is totally an option, but they make you pay an extra $500 just to have a frickin ceremony there. What is that?!
Post a Comment