Friday, July 29, 2005

Week five - two more to go

As of today, we have one more week of classes and then finals. Every time I try to form a sentence, it comes out with the syntax all wrong and basically completely opposite of what I've learned as a native English speaker. And when I was on the phone the other day with a hotel, I actually said "ja, genau" instead of "yes, exactly" and there was a distinct pause on the other side of the line before she spoke again. I think she thought I was hallucinating. And maybe I was.

Tonight we're watching a movie and I've decided to go old skool and make some Jiffy Pop on the stove. Every time I eat Jiffy Pop I think of Scream and how the popcorn sets off the smoke alarm. I hate that movie.
But we're seeing "O Brother where art thou!" - in German. And if that's not hilarious, I don't know what is.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, much love from your German correspondant.

4 comments:

The DP said...

i think you should start listening to scary german pop music, like daniel kubelbock and joachim deutschland.

scary.

Shiksa on the move said...

I've been listening to Xavier Naidoo which is sort of like Usher, only in German. I think my brain is confused because it has to work to understand the German but the end result is totally insipid.
And of course, Marlene Dietrich singing 'surrey with the fringe on top' in German.

The DP said...

xavier naidoo looks just like my husband, which is scary

i love it when he brushes his hair out into a fro


i like his music; actually i like looking at him, but hey

daniel kubelbock is a running joke with my other german friend. he genuinely scares me.

Shiksa on the move said...

My other fun German music is Herbert Groenemeyer - he sounds a lot like he listened to old Journey records and translated them into German. Also fun on a Friday night.