Saturday, August 06, 2005

Sleepin in

It's a little after 11am and I'm still in bed. When I say I'm still in bed, I mean this literally - complete with the laptop on my pyjama-clad lap, and I don't plan on moving for at least a little while. The cocktail party was a blast - my roommate Joel and I were the "retro" pair for the night, me with my flapper hair and t-strap dancing shoes and him with his pinstripe suit. For about the first hour and a half, in keeping with the supposed "cocktail" mood, there was a constant stream of Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra, so Joel and I decided to move the chairs out of the way and cut us some rug.
These are the reasons why I'm glad Joel is my roommate: he's tall, I'm tall, he's goofy, I'm also goofy (no comments from the peanut gallery!), he likes to ballroom dance, I like to ballroom dance, his fiancee likes me, my fiancee likes him. And all of this works out in such a way that permits us to have a pretty good house with rent that's affordable for all.

As with most dressy occasions here at Deutsch camp, I had my contacts in and the requisite amount of makeup and whatnot, and was completely unrecognizable to everyone in my grammar class. And yes friends, "incognito" IS a German word. I think my German is actually better when I've had four screwdrivers. Either that, or it just feels like it's better. My German high school teacher suitemate said to me "Wenn man trinkt, denkt man nicht so viel über die Wörter. Man nur sprichst, und das geht immer besser!" (When one drinks, they don't think so much about the words. They only speak, and that goes a lot better.)
But I think I drove the fiancee nuts - I was so excited about my fluid German I forgot to talk to him in English....Arme Mann - er hat keine Ahnung was ich sagen wollen und er war so verwirrt weil jetzt ich so schnell sprechen will. Aber das freut mich! Ich bin immer so stoltz auf mich - ich fühle mehr wie ein echt deutsche Frau.

Wer ist die Frau? Ich bin die Frau!

I love literal translations. The other day, one of Megan's friends actually said "Kein mehr Herr netter Mensch," which literally translated means "No more Mister Nice Guy." Deutsch makes my heart happy. And I take back (almost) everything I said that was nasty about German camp. It's the weekend, I have to sing on a master class for some Deutschland diva in three hours, and we're going to eat dinner in town tonight. For those of you who have perspective on my favorite small town in Louisiana, it's like walking from the HSB to Shipleys. Middlebury makes Natchitoches look metropolitan.

Y'all have a good weekend, I'm going to drag my lazy ass out of bed and eat breakfast.

No comments: