If anyone knows how to use umlauts in AIM, I'd be pleased as punch for them to enlighten me. I was talking to a particularly nice man (who happens to be married to my particularly nice friend) on AIM today, in German, and suddenly realized that none of my verbs were properly conjugated because of the noticeable lack of umlauts. I need an umlaut in my life. Anyone?
Four more days of German camp and I can break free of the linguistic ties that bind me and read the new Harry Potter book for crying out loud! As usual, I am being stealth and listening to the Indigo Girls on my walkman, giving the illusion that I am not actually breaking the language pledge. I like to think of these little forays in the same way an Atkins dieter thinks of the hershey kisses in the top drawer of their desk. It's such a negligible amount of English, it doesn't actually negate the German I learned today. Though earlier this morning, I likened my brain to a lint roller. At one point in time this summer it was ready to grab whatever was around to be learned but now it's been used so many times, Conjunctive II didn't even stick a little.
Sidebar - Earth Wind and Fire are playing in Indianapolis the night before we move to Boston. Can I just say that it pains my soul I can't go see them because I have to drive twelve hours the next day? I think the only thing more exciting than an Earth Wind and Fire concert would be if ABBA got back together and went on tour. And I don't want to hear anything from anyone about how I'm getting my doctorate in classical music and aren't I supposed to listen to opera in my spare time - even opera singers have to get their groove on. When I teach music appreciation (which I'm sure I will have to do as a new professor) you can bet your Madonna CD's that I'm gonna play English drinking songs right alongside Purcell. Which brings me to my trivia question for today. What's your favorite Beatles song? (mine is Eleanor Rigby)
And just for kicks, I followed DP's example and made a quiz. Have fun!
Take my Quiz on QuizYourFriends.com!
No comments:
Post a Comment