Thursday, September 01, 2005

day four

The grandparents have taken refuge in Texas, the parents are going to and from the house to make salvage runs, and we're still waiting for phone lines to be restored.

Don't know what the next step is for my parents, or for the rest of my family. Many have children who are supposed to graduate high school in New Orleans this year, but that seems impossible now. Reports of price gouging in Mississippi for gas and Memphis for apartments, short-term rentals. Have no idea where my parents will make camp until their house is repaired, if they even choose to stay there.

Don't know what the next step is for me - the location of my wedding is uncertain, as the city of my choice will probably not be open for business...

Sorry to be so scattered, have been poked and prodded for information by every member of my family. Only wish I knew more.

For every family member who desperately wants to talk to their relatives as much as I do, my heart goes out to you. The silence is deafening and I have to resist the urge to throw my phone against the wall every time I get the "due to the hurricane in the area you are attempting to call" message. I can't watch the television any more, the pictures are so saddening, the videos of people who were perhaps once sane and civil, turned animal in the streets.

And the president is doing an aerial tour. Not that I blame his security - I wouldn't want to drop down in the middle of that madness. But I doubt he will be able to fully appreciate the destruction without seeing the faces of the desperate people who have lost everything and are held hostage by the lunatics with guns on the ground.

Keep praying y'all, the worst is NOT over

2 comments:

The DP said...

I just wanted to let you know that Harley's house looks to be livable in the short term (minor roof patching) barring any rain in the next week or so, so when and if they are allowed to go back your parents can always go there. I have told my husband where my pictures are at Harley's, so later on in October when he goes back, they are waiting for you.

Unknown said...

Still haven't been able to call anywhere in the 'dell. My mom's neighbor wants to drive down there and check out the houses, but I'm trying to talk him out of it - his car definately can't hold enough gas to make a round trip from Jackson to Slidell and back.