You know the movie 'Babe' about the pig who can talk? There's this little greek chorus of mice that comes out between segments of the movie and says the title of the next segment in their little mice voices. They also sing the Toreador song from Carmen. 'Babe' might be one of the best movies for introducing a child to classical music, and I think talking barnyard animals are fun.
But that's not what's on my mind. I'm thinking about the part where something bad happens and the mice come out and say in their micey voices, "A sad day."
Because that's how I feel right now, and it's only 9:30am.
Let me start by saying that our landlord is a schmuck. He doesn't take care of the house as well as he ought and since he got a girlfriend, he's away from the property more than ever. Most of the time, this suits us fine because he's crotchety. But he leaves things until they absolutely MUST be dealt with, and today is such a day. He does not clean out the gutters above the front porch and, as a result, a rather large colony of birds has lain its nest over the stoop. And, as my sweet husband tried to delicately explain to me this morning, when baby birds fall out of the nest, the parent birds leave them there because that's just the cycle of life. But it doesn't stop me from being terribly upset about three little chicks that are lying in the front flower bed.
I called the city to see if I could get the department of sanitation on the horn but they told me that I would have to pick up the birds, put them in a 'container' and set them on the curb for the city to come pick them up. This is more than I can bear, so my husband has agreed to do this when he comes home for lunch and I am going to leave the house so I don't have to look out the window and see them.
I know I'm a big baby and we're supposed to understand the life cycle of things and to everything there is a season turn turn turn but dead baby birds make me sad. And that's just all there is to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment