I had a dream last week about my friend Kristy's wedding. Kristy isn't married - she's engaged to a great guy named Bob - but in my dream, Miss Jean had planned her wedding. Now I don't know why so don't ask me about the innerworkings of my subconscious, but Kristy had to hurry up and get the ceremony over with because she was moving to Plaquemines (!) and had to get over the bridge. Stream of (un)consciousness, people. Bear with me. So Miss Jean comes up to me as Kristy is beating it out the door and exclaims, in a very pissy tone of voice, "She can't go! I have a pinata coming in an hour!"
And then I woke up.
Miss Jean found this story hilarious. My husband wanted to know why on earth Miss Jean was planning Kristy's wedding. And my colleague wanted to know what was in the pinata.
I haven't been sleeping especially well in this hotel room. I've been here two weeks now and I've got the cooking on two burners thing down to an art, but the a/c gets too cold in the night and I turn it off and then I wake up in sweats and turn it back on. I'm sleeping fitfully, waking up and falling back asleep, and countless people have received a rather rude greeting when calling me before 9am because I didn't get to sleep in the first place till 2am, despite being in bed at 11pm. Ridiculous.
So it's no great surprise to me that today, after a full run of the show, my voice feels like ground hamburger, I don't want to eat real food, and all I want to do is sit in the dark and listen to the Indigo Girls and feel sorry for myself. And eat Haagen-Dazs. I think my first clue to the slump was the Jason Robert Brown spree on my playlist. I always go to the musical theatre in an attempt to perk myself up, but then the sad ballad starts playing and there I am, spoon in hand, vanilla chocolate almond in the other, morose.
Well I'm not sure if this is one of those "Hello self!" type moments, but I now, very firmly, recognize myself as an emotional eater. And fortunately, I've been very good with my WW points for the last few weeks so I know it's not a huge catastrophe to sit here with the Haagen-Dazs. I didn't finish the pint, not even close, and I did put it back into the freezer and turn the light back on. And I'm going to accompany my colleague to the Macy's one-day sale that's going on until 11pm because if I don't, the ice cream will be gone before you can say banana split hold the whipped cream.
There has to be an easier way.
And with that
1 comment:
Bob and I have had a horrible fight, as I am impossible to live with on account of not having any parents anymore. am a real, total bitch and he secretly hates my guts and every so often lets it boil over the surface and right now he totally hates my guts. Tell Jean not to plan any weddings just yet.
Post a Comment