Monday, December 08, 2008

Gratitude, Day 14

My friends Mary, Laura, and Margaret think I'm bonkers for going running in the cold. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't necessarily agree with them. Running in the cold can be really nice, if you've got the right clothes on and the wind isn't too bad.

This was not that day. Right now is the warmest it's been all day and it's 19 degrees outside, and the weather channel says that the wind chill makes it feel like 7. And I decided to go for a run. It's kind of sunny, the route I took doesn't have too many hills, I should be fine, right? Suuuuuure. Keep telling yourself that. About halfway through, I was sure that I was going to expire right there on the road, but thankfully I kept telling myself that the house would feel sooooo warm when I got home and no, you're not really as chilly as you think you are, it's the wind biting through that top layer you've got on (note to self: must MUST purchase a good running jacket) but you'll warm up. And I did, thankfully. And once I rounded that last corner and was able to see my house, it was just painful push to the end.

Running in the cold is for crazy people. But at least I'm crazy and burning calories, right?

1. The microwave repair guy was on time and now the microwave is fixed
2. My gloves were not lost and did not blow away while lying on the lawn all night
3. I have an audition tomorrow for the opera company in my hometown
4. I'm one more edit session closer to finishing my dissertation
5. My voice teacher is coming to dinner. Hooray!

1 comment:

The DP said...

Dude, this is what I say to the haters (it was also in the teens F here today)
Would you rather run in 0 degree weather, or in 95 degree new orleans weather with 95 percent humidity?
Unless you are my certifiable husband (who strangely loves new orleans weather), most would agree that the former is somehow less aggravating. As the norwegians say, no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.