Katrina and I were sitting in Paul today, nibbling on french macaroons and almond pastry and quiche, and I was telling her about my most recent crisis of career/conscience/life. At an audition last week, I suddenly found myself in an episode of Jeopardy, getting grilled about everything from where I went to school to what I studied and why, and whether or not I was finishing the doctorate and why did I start it and did I really want to be a singer. Now everyone I've told this story to butts in at this juncture and says, "Um, did you tell them that HELLO you already ARE a singer???" While I agree with them, that's not really the kind of attitude you want to throw down when hoping to be hired, so I did a lot of creative tap dancing to get out the door without offending the people on the audition panel. When I mentioned it to my agent, they told me that the concern is not so much that I might be less-than-devoted to the profession of singing, it's that an opera singer might be too intelligent. Read: more intelligent than the people directing/coaching/conducting them. It's a very complex issue for me. I've spent all this time and effort working on finishing this degree with both speed and success, I've managed to write and edit a dissertation while maintaining a full performing and auditioning schedule, and now that I'm on the precipice of finishing (the disser went to committee last week, let's hope they will have an answer for me soon) I have to effectively shelf my intelligence so that I don't scare the people I want to employ me. Now no one wants to hire a singing idiot who can't put together two grey cells to get from stage right to stage left, but no one likes the smartest kid in the class either. This has been a long-standing source of contention with my colleagues that's well-documented in this blog, so I won't belabor the point by expounding further. Needless to say, I was pondering the duplicity of this philosophy at the opera tonight. John Adams wrote some seriously hard music, and it makes me think that the people involved in that production are of serious musical cred to be able to pull it off successfully. Would John Adams care whether or not the singers were too intelligent? Or would he be grateful that they had spent twelve years in higher education so they could execute his score with expedience and accuracy and artistry? Points to ponder.
Three days till the close of Flute. Four days till I fly back to Boston, green money, and my sweet life in my sweet house with my husband and dog. And six days till I fly to Seattle to start Midsummer. Eeep.
2 comments:
I saw the HD broadcast of the Met Dr. Atomic, and it was really cool! I hope it will come to Seattle one day.
ok first, sloth knits, you have best name ever. ever.
now. the whole singer versus musicologist thing, dr. e. I call patriarchy. Would they be up a man's behind if he happened to have a phd? would they ask if he was serious about singing? I don't know a lot of singers but my money is on no. People suck.
Post a Comment