Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Penitential seasons

Yesterday was Mardi Gras, one of my absolute favorite holidays that I haven't been home to celebrate in years and years. At least I was with some friends who decided to make pancakes - the yummy little thin French ones that you put sugar and lemon on. And nutella. Ohhhh nutella. So I woke up this morning, still trying to figure out what I'm going to give up for Lent.

Letting go of things is important. These last few weeks have been really strange for me. I've been grilled about my degree, I've gotten absolutely rotten reviews, I've had this enormous train of friends come through London to see the show and I've flown and driven all over the UK for auditions. And while visiting some of those old places I had to really look hard at the old times. Sitting in the pubs where I drank myself silly as a 21 year-old masters' student, I was remembering how hard those times were, how uncertain I was and how much I DO NOT MISS THOSE TIMES.

So this is where I'm at. Sometimes you can't get those things back, and you can't get those times back, and sometimes you really don't even want to. I'm giving up looking back. No more.

Three days till home. Eyes on the prize.

No comments: