I'm one of those people now. Those people you see out on the sidewalk when you're half-awake, clutching your coffee as you trudge from the kitchen to the living room. Those people who go to bed early so they can get up early to do their long run before the sun is all the way up. I found myself saying to my friends last night, "No, I'm gonna pass on the sangria, I have to get up early for my long run." My friend Laura says to me, "Um..are you training for something?" "Yes, the Boston Half." "And why are you doing that, exactly?" "Ask me tomorrow."
If I didn't do my long run, I would feel like shit. I would feel guilty and I would be cranky all day that I didn't go. At what point in time did running become a major indicator in my mental health? I was having this conversation with my weekly running phone buddy, the VeganDiva of NYC. We usually talk on Mondays after my long run - catching up about our runs this week and her pursuit of the half-Ironman and singing and whatnot. We are those bat-shit-crazy people. We have conversations about sports bras and Bodyglide and shoes and pacing and running plans. I done lost my mind. It's time to shower.
No comments:
Post a Comment