Saturday, June 16, 2007

A day on the Cape

My husband won a trip to the Cape Cod brewery with free tasting and touring so we piled up the vehicle with a few of our beer-drinking friends and headed down to the arm. But before this happened, I had to do a little preventative maintenance. When I told my friend Margaret that I was running she replied, "Were you being chased?" and while I would have considered this a normal and valid response, I have now found a very practical reason to run that has nothing to do with fitness or the pursuit of a leaner physique: preliminary alleviation of guilt. I got my ass up at 7:30am and went running this morning so that when we got down to the Cape I could eat clams and scallops and shrimp and not feel guilty. To me, this is the essence of practicality: I go running, therefore I can eat steamers. Amazing.

So now I'm back, a little sunburned on the upper arms with sand in my flip-flops, but all told it was a marvelous day. Gorgeously sunny, a nice strong breeze, and all the steamed clams I could manage. There's nothing better than a day on the water with fresh seafood. And now I'm going to lay in my chair and pet my dog.

Time out: 7:37am - first song on mp3 player "No Myth" - Michael Penn
Total time running: five minutes
Time in: 8:27am - last song on mp3 player "Say it ain't so" - Weezer

2 comments:

LaCasey said...

Not like it was fried in beer batter or anything - I'm just saying

Anonymous said...

But what about the beah!?!?