Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Long time no blog

Sorry I've been out of touch. We have some houseguests - a friend of mine and her 4 month old baby girl - who have been occupying a great deal of my time. And for the record, NO the clock is NOT ticking. I taped down the snooze button, thanks.

The parents have safely returned from Germany - mom called me yesterday from the airport after sending copious emails and text messages. It took a little while for her to get the texting thing. She would send me a text, ask me a question, and then send me an email when she didn't understand my answer, having forgotten that she'd asked me a question some hours previous. *sigh*

But they're back home and hopefully their house will sell sometime in the near future and they will move out of the 'dell. I bear no grudge against Slidell, I really don't. I spent a lot of my youth there and there are parts of it that I remember fondly - my favorite snowball stand, the park with the huge forts where we used to climb up and have picnics, the old town soda shop (which breathed its last after the hurricane) with its skee-ball machine and chocolate-dipped cherries, Vera's restaurant out on the lake (yep, washed away). Most of what I loved about Slidell is gone now - my parents don't live in our old house in our old neighborhood, they live in this new neighborhood that flooded something awful. My friends from childhood have all moved away like I have and most of their families have followed suit so there aren't many reasons to stick around. It's a weird feeling when your concept of 'home' suddenly changes. I suppose that 'home' is where my dog and my husband are, so home for the moment is Boston, but I wouldn't say that I'm 'from' here. I do love me some Red Sox though.

Must get my lazy ass out of the house. Perhaps I'll take the dog with me.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Wait... your parents are moving out of Slidell? Did I miss something?